By Audrey Ashe
In the kingdom of fruits, lemon might be the freshest of all. The smell, taste, and color embody everything invigorating. It’s not just in your head either. According to color theory, shades of yellow evoke feelings of happiness and positivity. In aromatherapy, bright, citrusy scents may have an effect on producing the happy hormone serotonin and mental stimulation.
Here are a few lemony projects you can make right at home to tantalize your senses.
Zesty Homemade Treats
No-bake Lemon Cheesecake
This delicious dessert is the perfect blend of sweet and tangy, and it’s easy with just four ingredients.
- 16 oz. softened cream cheese
- 14 oz. condensed milk
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon divided (leave ⅓ to sprinkle on top for garnish)
Mix above ingredients and pour into a premade 10-inch graham cracker crust, top with the remaining lemon zest, and refrigerate a minimum of four hours or until the filling sets.
Lemon Drop Martini
Swap out the Chardonnay with this refreshing cocktail with a kick.
Juice ½ lemon into a wide-rimmed dish and sprinkle sugar onto a plate set right beside it. Dip the rim of a martini glass in the juice and sugar. For the cocktail itself, you will need:
- A handful of ice
- 3 to 4 shots of vodka
- 2 shots limoncello (hint, search for
recipes and make your own)
- 1 shot triple sec
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Remaining lemon juice to taste
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and mix until the sugar dissolves. Pour into a sugar-rimmed glass and garnish with sliced lemon or lemon twist.
Hello Yellow Home Vibes
Pom-Pom Marigold Garland
Give your room a pop of color with this fun, easy craft. It can be used to accentuate wall art, hang from the ceiling, or as a beaded curtain alternative.
1. Trace a circular object onto cardboard, then trace a smaller circle inside it to make a donut. Cut out the large round shape, then cut a slit in the side to cut out the center circle.
2. Wrap yellow yarn around the ring until it is covered. Repeat for a few layers to create a full pom-pom.
3. Snip the yarn around the circle’s outer edge to create a pom-pom that is secured inside the donut hole.
4. Cut a separate piece of yarn to tie the middle, remove it from the ring, then fluff and trim your pom-pom to your liking.
Repeat until you have enough marigolds to string onto a wire to create a garland.
Lemon-Lavender Room and Fabric Spritzer
Instantly liven up any room with this simple, all-natural room spray. No more bathroom, pet smells, or heavy artificial scents. You will need:
- Lemon essential oil
- Lavender essential oil
- 3 oz. rubbing alcohol or vodka
(don’t drink this, though)
- 1 ½ cups distilled water
Make sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Fill a spray bottle with the distilled water and mix 10 to 15 drops of each essential oil with the alcohol or vodka. Combine, shake well, and spray the doldrums away.