By Melissa Gautier
Grab-it-and-go options for soaking up summer fun
Summer is a great opportunity for family bonding and road-trip travels, but sometimes half the challenge can be just getting everyone outta the house before the sun goes down. With a little preparation and planning, you can keep departure stress at bay and get on with the adventures.
Get it Together
Have a plan and establish a bag for each of your destinations. Do yourself a favor and grab several large reusable plastic bags with handles—you’ve seen them at grocery and home furnishings stores—the next time you’re shopping. Their waterproof material makes them easy to clean and they’re great for lugging just about anything. Once home, you’ll be primed to sort, fill, and get ready to head out the door to enjoy family outings.
QUICK TIP: Stash an ample supply or case of bottled water or energy drinks by your pre-stocked bags for quick access. Drop ‘em in and you’re ready to go!
Park It! Bag
Let the little ones burn off extra energy while running and climbing at the neighborhood park. If you’re heading out with older kids, pop a magazine or book in for yourself and enjoy as time allows.
- Easy snacks like dried fruits, small crackers, jerky, or
- Blanket, towel, tablecloth
- First-aid supplies
- Bug spray
- Frisbee, NERF football, or other tossable toys
- A few extra articles of clothing
Whether you’re headed to the beach, water park, community pool, or lake, get a water-friendly bag ready for some fun under the sun.
- Sunscreen, sunglasses, and hats
- Towels and beach blanket
- A change of dry clothes for the ride home
- Refillable drink containers
- Lip balm
- Boogie boards or noodles
- A waterproof bag for watches, phones, or small items
While you’re capturing memories with your camera, let kids have fun creating their own at the zoo, museum, or science center.
- Disposable or cheap digital cameras so kids can chronicle their own explorations for later scrapbooking
- Memo pads and pencils to draw sketches or jot down notes
- Chargers for devices to use in the car
- Binoculars or opera glasses for up-close looks
- Hand wipes and antibacterial gel
- Sunglasses or hats for outdoor activities
- Snacks for the ride home
Savor those precious family memories year after year. Get out and have some fun!